Monday, June 4, 2012

The Jamie dress... Yes, another one for me!

Dressing up the girls... Spring is here... I figured it is time for me to get some new clothes too... And this time I wanted a dress.

Unfortunately, I rarely wear dresses, I love seeing them, I love to have them, but I rarely wear them. A dress for me is not a casual or work outfit, only special occasion...

So I baught several dress patterns (as if I don't have enough already) and had real trouble deciding which one to use first. As always when troubled... I avoided decision. Then I sew the Jamie dress on the net.


I had to have it!
Forgive the pictures, my 5 years old took them..

This is my first attempt. I followed the instructions to the letter. I used my waist measurements in order to figure out the size I needed, which is Large, but I took the shoulder straps as Medium. It came out too wide... but totally wearable, don't you think?


So I tried again. This time with some changes. I took out a bit from the waist strap, the front and the back. I did NOT make the folds in the waist strap, because I wanted some other features there (the black ribbons), and I also didn't cut the shoulder straps on the fold (frankly, I didn't have enough fabric). This is what I came out with..




I know, the zipper is shown, I need to iron and fix that. But it fits nicely, don't you think? I'm happy with the dress. Now, let's see... when will I wear it???

The Pattern Review:

Instructions - great! The pictures are great, every step is well explained and photographed.
The fit - It took me two attempts to get it right, but then again, the brown dress, though a bit wide, is very comfortable and nice and I will wear it...
The sizing: I think the pattern goes up tp XX or mayne even XXX.
Will I sew it again? not sure, I already have two dresses, and I don't wear too many dresses as is... but I will keep it. Maybe a few years from now one of my daughters will want one :-)

So, go make a dress too!!!

2 comments: